Friday, April 18, 2014

The Meaning of Maggie Review


So my absolute favorite book character of 2014? Maggie Mayfield. I am 36-years old, and as I age, memories of my childhood become increasingly more foggy.  This book took me back to being an 11-year old, which is a good thing because I have one of my own and I’m not sure that I am as always patient and understanding as a parent should be. I felt like Maggie WAS me.  She is in middle school during the late 1980s.  She is a spectacular student.  She loves books and sweets, and running is her nemesis.  She is outspoken, funny and a character I will remember for a long time.

I enjoyed the depiction of the relationship Maggie has with her two older sisters.  I grew up with one sister and now I have three girls.  My sister and I were polar opposites growing up, and we shared a room just like Maggie does with Tiffany.  I could relate to the fighting, both as a child who fought with my sister and as a parent who has to deal with children fighting.  Despite the seemingly ceaseless bickering, there are those sweet tender moments between Maggie and Tiffany when you know they love each other.  This rings true for my sister experience as well.

The biggest plot point of the story is that Maggie’s father has multiple sclerosis.  I think the way that everyone works together to deal with her dad’s condition is a great lesson of family support.

Oh, and I loved the footnotes!  They added to the authenticity of Maggie’s voice.  You never have to wonder what she is thinking because she tells you exactly!

Thank you Megan Jean Sovern for writing such a wonderful book!  Thank you to Chronicles Books for the Advanced Reader’s Copy.  I will purchase this book for my library and I can’t wait to share it with my students.


Release date:  May 6, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment