Monday, April 21, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading?


So last week, I read two great middle grade books from popular series.


Tom Angleberger is a genius!  This book is so delightfully funny and I feel like Angleberger champions real students and teachers caught up in a world where the only thing that seems to matter is standardized testing.  Princess Labelmaker continues the story from The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett, where the kids of McQuarrie middle school in the “Rebel Alliance” are battling the evils of the Fun Time curriculum, which eliminates electives and focuses on test prep all the time.  The book contains lots of Star Wars references and puns; my favorite is “What the Hutt?”  Kids love this series, and I know that firsthand. I received it as a birthday gift, and my 5th grade daughter squealed and took it from me.  I had to demand it back so I could read it.


My favorite movie is Back to the Future, and I am fascinated with anything focusing on time travel, so I love Haddix’s The Missing series.  In the sixth book, Jonah and Katherine travel back to Russia in 1918 where they have to save Alexie and Anastasia Romanov.  Haddix is a master of suspense and these books never disappoint.

I am currently reading:



Zane and the Hurricane: A Story of Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment